College Park sits right near the border between Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Our campus has its own stop on the green line of the Metro (DC's subway system) making travel into Washington, DC and the surrounding suburbs easy and inexpensive.
Many of our students make good enough use of the Metrorail and Metrobus system that they do not need to own cars.
Check out the lists below for a quick sample of Metro-accessible attractions and institutions ALL within a 10-mile (16-km) radius of the campus.
Arts & Culture
Museums & Attractions
- Smithsonian Institution
- International Spy Museum
- Koshland Science Museum of the National Academies of Science
Sports & Recreation
- Greenbelt Park (National Park Service)
- Herbert Wells Ice Rink
- Anacostia Tributary Trail System
- Lake Artemesia
- Eppley Recreation Center
- Outdoor Climbing Wall
- National Arboretum
- Washington Redskins Football
- Washington Nationals Baseball
- Washington Wizards Basketball
- Washington Capitals Hockey
- NASA Headquarters
- NOAA Headquarters
- Goddard Space Flight Center
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction
- Department of Energy
- National Weather Service
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center (UMD)
- Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (George Mason)